Sunday, April 01, 2007

Teach a child...

I went to one of those old-fashioned girls' high schools where tradition was a big deal. At the start and end of every term our headmistress would read Ps 121. Ever since Zoe's birth, I've had bits of it running through my mind.

The old adage about 'teach a child the way to go and when he is grown he will not depart from it' has apparently worked with me. The words of all the praise and worship songs from the '80's and early '90's when I was at school are the only ones I can remember - the new stuff (which I thought I valued more because they were more expressive) I just can't remember; either the tunes or the words!

Anyway, this evening, I found myself praying the bits of Ps 121 that I could remember over Janel as I put her to bed, so I thought I'd look it up and read it again. I know that God watches over us; I know that He is here in the midst of our suffering; I know that (despite how things look) He loves us. On reading it again, it seems so appropriate that I thought I'd share it here.

Ps 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills -
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip -
He who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you -
The Lord is your shade upon your right hand;
The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from harm -
He will watch over your life;
The Lord will watch over your coming and going
Both now and forever more.

1 comment:

seethroughfaith said...

it's beautiful how God is reaching out to you - though those childhood situations and through His living word

He has not abandoned you - and with Easter - the fact that we are resurrected with Christ - must hold some comfort