Sunday, March 22, 2009

Just when you think you should give up...

I know I'm crazy. On returning home to SA in 2007 I started two new jobs (he second one was a promotion post), started a new business, started a support group, did a 6 month course, moved house, and last year - I fell pregnant.

The support group is ticking along slowly. The second new job is going fantastically well - I LOVE my job! I'm moving house again in a short while. The pregnancy is going well (or as well as can be expected). So that just leaves the business. This is the one that seems to be falling off the list. There just is not the time to devote to it. It needs marketing, and I don't have the time or money to do what is necessary.

As I've been thinking about how crazy I was to do all this stuff, I've been thinking that maybe the thing that has to go is the business. I originally started it because I didn't want to stay in teaching. Now I'm in such a great job, I want to stay in teaching for the foreseeable future, so the need for the business has fallen away. While I'm reluctant to chalk it up to a VERY expensive mistake, I've been thinking that maybe that's what I need to do.

So, last weekend, I prayed and told God that I've realised the folly of my ways, and I'm going to give up the business.

And this week I've had 3 different people contact me regarding it. Two want to come for a nappucino, and one has placed a huge order.

I really don't know what to make of it. Is that God saying that I shouldn't give up on it, but should let it tick over quietly? Or is that just coincidence - the inevitable small fry one gets from having a website?

When I did the business course, they talked about a time (or several times) where you are faced with the decision about whether to continue with your venture, or pull out. I had one of those moments while I was on the course. I'm having another one now. I chatted to G about it, and we've decided that I will use my maternity leave time to try and do some marketing. Then, early in 2010, we will re-evaluate and see where we're at. Now is one of those times when I really wish God would do some sign-writing in the sky... Should I continue, or not? I just wish I knew for sure which one was the right option - not just for me, but for my family too.

No comments: