Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fires on Table Mountain

Yes, yes, I know it's old news to everyone by now. Sorry. I'm just catching up with myself. For those who don't know, Table Mountain experienced the worst fires in a decade (I think I read that stat somewhere) during this past week. I gathered some photos from The Telegraph and 9News.What struck me is that the last time Table Mountain burnt this badly, Graeme and I were about to move to the UK. We had a few friends over for dinner and drinks, and were standing on the balcony of our flat, sipping after dinner drinks, watching the blaze. Even from where we lived (about 10km away) you could actually see the flames. I remember how scary it was then, at such a distance. For those who had to be evacuated this time around, I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been.

No comments: