Saturday, March 14, 2009

Delayed inevitability

I guess it was bound to happen... I tried hard to avoid it, but I feel myself succumbing...

After the heat of the past few weeks, and the manic busy-ness, I'm surprised I've survived this long. I guess I should be grateful.

All day today I've had a really sore throat. I feel run down and tired, and with the number of sick kids around me at school at the moment (they're dropping like flies) I've been exposed to lots of bugs. Janel has also been coughing for the past day or two, so she's also got something. Maybe I've caught something from her.

And it seems that today, whatever bugs I've caught have reached critical mass. Bummer. So tomorrow I hope I can lie in bed and mark. Only 7 more projects to go. Then I want to try sleeping for a bit. Tomorrow evening though, I have to try and get through a class test. I have 4 to mark by Thursday, and the sooner I get started, the better.

I'm going to be good, and not try to feel sorry for myself. Instead, I'm going to remain positive. So let's list the positive things to focus on:

  • the blessing of friends - we've just had a great evening with a missionary friend from Bosnia who's home visiting her supporters. Dinner and then playing Wii games.. lots of laughs all round.
  • the blessing of weekends - some people work 6 days a week, others work 7, either because they live in a country where that's normal, or because they have to have 2 jobs (or more) to support their families. While I had to work this morning, I have the blessing of time off to spend with my family, to go to church, to be with friends.
  • the blessing of children - this afternoon Janel came to sit on my lap, and was so concerned about not wanting to hurt me or the baby but still wanting to lean against me; then during bath time she gave me a huge hug & called me her 'sweetheart'.
  • the blessing of an amazing husband - who let me lie down after the party, made delicious supper, entertained Nellie, fed the dogs, cleaned out the blocked sewer, and even came to check on whether there was anything I needed.
I have a lot to be thankful and joyful for. But right now I'm going to give in to the inevitable. I'm tired, and my throat is on fire (as is my tummy... indigestion is a constant companion at the moment, despite the blessing of Gaviscon), and I think bed is probably the best place to be. Let's hope this bug doesn't hang around for too long.

No comments: