Monday, June 15, 2009

One solution that might actually work?

Every so often, I've blogged about my mixed emotions on dealing with the poor. Now, I think I've found one possible solution. It's called 'The Broccoli Project'. Essentially, it's a reward scheme for the poor. In the same way that Vitality rewards Discovery members for living a healthy lifestyle (buying healthy food, going to the gym, etc, etc), the Broccoli Project works with various NGOs to create reward schemes for the poor - including things like having regular HIV tests, attending skills workshops, staying in school, or taking prescribed medication. Non-participants can also buy books of vouchers to purchase food from places like Pick 'n Pay to hand out at intersections or to car guards.

For me, this is a break-through. It means that I can always hand something out that I know cannot be used for drugs, and that does not require a lot of space in the car (as actual food would). I will investigate further, me thinks.

No comments: