Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Confederation Cup

So you're wondering how a non-sport mad person like me has anything to say about this? Me too. I mean, I like sport, but it either has to be world class, or has to have someone in it that I'm personally supporting (like my nieces, or something). And it mustn't be soccer. I hate soccer. Really. I don't get the point of running backwards and forwards over the pitch to score a measly 2 goals. Where's the beauty in that?

And the vuvuzelas... I know it's an SA tradition. I know it makes SA soccer more vibrant, with a certain vibe that is present nowhere else. But really - after the first few blasts you'd think that the headaches they caused would be enough of a deterrent to make people stop. But apparently not.

and 2010 is coming to SA. God help us. Traffic. Crowds. Noise and more noise. Yes, I'm really looking forward to that. NOT.

So it was with much amazement that I found myself watching the second half of the Confederation Cup final - BY CHOICE. It was with even more amazement that I found myself cheering for the USA and really enjoying watching them score. I mean, it's just not like me. I didn't recognise myself at all. Is this 2010 fever starting to mess with even my head?? Am I going to turn into one of those cheering fans over the next 365 days that I dislike so much at the moment? Am I going to develop a liking for soccer?

All I can say is that if I do, then that is proof that miracles still occur.

No comments: