Saturday, February 07, 2009

Some things change, some stay the same

With Graeme working at my Alma mater, I've found myself revisiting customs, events and school history. This morning, for example, he asked me who taught the girls about their skirts. I knew instantly what he was talking about. The girls are specifically instructed, by the school, about keeping the skirts of their dresses down and between their legs. They're taught to think about who might be able to see up it. e.g. when you walk or sit on stage, when you walk up/ down stairs, when the wind blows. It's one of those things that that I'd completely forgotten about until he mentioned it. Apparently, they're still doing it. Good for them, I say. I wish someone would teach the girls at my school because most of them have no idea about that kind of modesty!

But then, other things have changed. Like this pathway.
My first tutor room was just behind those doors. What is now a narrow, brick-paved path, used to be a wide, gravel path - wide enough to drive an ox-wagon on. When it rained, well, you'd traipse through a bit of a mud bath.

The garden on the right didn't exist, and the garden on the left marked the start of the matric quad. The matric quad has now moved to a quad on the other side of the school, which is smaller and isn't as pretty, but has more shade and is closer to the vending machines.

The only constant in life is that change will occur.

No comments: