Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Farewell Angela

In December last year, I blogged briefly about a friend (one of Graeme's ex-girlfriends) who was battling ovarian cancer at the local hospital where we'll be having Baby 3. Sadly, she died this morning at about 5am.

Angela had only been married a year when her cancer was discovered. She was an incredibly brave woman, who suffered through every different variation of radiation and chemo possible - all without success. When I first heard that she had cancer, I knew immediately that she wouldn't make it. I don't know how I knew, but I knew. I desperately hoped she would. I prayed she would, but as every treatment failed, I became more sure of what I was trying to hide from. And now she's dead.

Thankfully, she died in peace, without pain, surrounded by family. I guess, under the circumstances, one can't really ask for more.

Yet I wonder - should I have said something to her 15 months ago when all this started? Should I have said anything to her at some point along the way? Would it have been better for her not to bother with treatment and rather enjoy what time she had left, rather than being constantly tired and nauseous and unable to do anything? Maybe she wouldn't have had as much time, but should I have said something anyway? Probably not, but still I wonder...

I guess if I were her, I would have opted for every treatment, no matter what someone else told me. I would have fought as hard as I could. She fought incredibly hard.

Mostly, I feel so sorry for her husband. They only had 1 year together. They never had children. Those are tragedies that only add to his grief and loneliness. I can only pray that in time he is able to find someone else to love and share his life with. Not because I want him to forget Angela, but because I want him to experience the joy of a lifetime spent with one person, and I want him to experience the joy of children.

Farewell, Angela. Rest in peace now and for eternity. The world is colder and darker for your absence from it, but we hope to meet again one day.

No comments: