Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Farewell Marcello

I mentioned that last week our home group meeting was spent discussing Marcello - a man in our church who committed suicide. At the time, I couldn't picture him. Then I read this incredibly beautiful tribute to him, and suddenly I remembered who he was. He used to take Nellie for SuperChurch (the kids church group)!! Thinking about the man I met, I would never have guessed that a) he was depressed, or that b) he was suicidal. He struck me as someone who loved the kids deeply, someone deeply committed to Jesus, and to helping his fellow man. Although I never knew him personally, I found the tribute to him helpful - both in terms of learning more about who he was, but also in terms of how the church eldership viewed his act of suicide.

No comments: