Thursday, February 19, 2009

An 18th birthday party story

It's taken me a day or two to post this story, but I still think it's hilarious... now, that is.

I had had the day from hell at work: had too little breakfast, then missed tea because I got to be yelled at by one of our grounds staff about how Science Fair wasn't going to work, then developed the headache from hell. While I managed to get lunch, the headache persisted. After school, a gazillion things needed doing, all of which got interrupted by Science Fair kids asking questions and needing help. Rushed home a little late (second time this week. Sorry Priscilla!) only to find that Baggins had ONCE AGAIN chewed the irrigation system to bits.

And I lost it. Totally lost it. I dropped my bag, and my shoes, charged after the dog, grabbed him, dragged him back to the site of his destruction and gave him the biggest hiding of his life. It took me a while to get my blood pressure down again. That was just happening when Graeme arrived home. I can't remember why we were in the garden, but we were. Graeme thought I had a remote with me, so asked me to open the gate. I didn't, so I sent Nellie inside to push the button.

Several seconds (felt like minutes) later, the gate still wasn't open, so I wandered over to the window to see what she was up to. Lo and behold! What a sight met my eyes: Janel squatting on the bankie (Afrikaans for little table), poised above my handbag, diary and a set of marking.... weeing!!!! Full volume, full speed ahead, bladder bursting weeing.

Needless to say, my blood pressure shot SKY high instantly. I charged inside to try to rescue the kids' books and work, get Janel into the bath and stop the wooden floor underneath from getting stained. Boy was I mad!!!! Livid.

I think what happened was that she was so excited about everything she simply didn't recognise the symptoms of needing to wee, and then once she started, she simply couldn't get down and run to the toilet. It definitely wasn't deliberate, and I can laugh about it now. At the time though, I only saw red.

Of course, I will have to tell this story at her 18th. Simply have to.

No comments: