Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cyclists

I thought I would avoid this topic completely, but find I am being drawn into making a comment on this hot topic. In SA, over the past few weeks, several cyclists have been struck and killed by motorists. In some cases, the cyclist was obeying the rules of the road and it was entirely the motorist's fault. In others, it was the other way around. Needless to say, the media has been full of comment from both sides - each accusing the other of being idiots and self-centred. One blog I follow has a particularly biased opinion on this matter, which almost made my stomach turn.

In general, I try to avoid thinking about media-sensationalised topics, because I know that logic will not prevail, so why bother trying? However, on this topic, I feel a good rant is needed.

Are motorists to blame? Yes. As my father once said to me - when you drive a car, you are handling a weapon that is more dangerous than a loaded, cocked gun. If you don't handle it properly, the gun will go off in your hands and you will kill either yourself or someone else. If a car is not driven with due care and attention, someone will be killed. Since motorists can kill cyclists easily, but the reverse is not as often true, the onus must be on the motorist to be vigilant and avoid a collision, EVEN IF the cyclist is not obeying the rules of the road. However, many motorists develop this 'king of the road' attitude the minute they get behind the wheel, and resent the presence of anyone else on the road - whether cyclist or motorist. As a result, many motorists are very poor drivers, especially in Cape Town!

Are cyclists to blame? Yes. Many cyclists are law-abiding individuals, but there are more than a few who simply don't follow the rules of the road. They ride 3 or 4 abreast. They weave in traffic. They don't signal. They don't wear appropriate gear that highlights their presence. They jump a red light to avoid having to take their feet out of their pedals grips (laziness!!).

Any rational human being could admit that BOTH sides are at fault. With that out of the way, it becomes possible to sit down and discuss real solutions to the problem. It's only when we stop pointing fingers at each other that dialogue becomes possible.

Is the media to blame in any way? Yes. Because instead of encouraging dialogue, they encourage finger pointing. Blame is much more scandalous and sells better. Dialogue is boring.

As a cyclist, I'm not perfect. Yet, I try. I take back roads when I can. I wear light and/or reflective clothing. I wear a helmet. I obey the rules of the road. As a motorist, I'm far from perfect. Yet, I try. I try to make a point of checking for cyclists (and motor cyclists) before I turn or cross lanes. I try to give them room on the road so they don't feel intimidated or frightened I'm going to run into them. I try not to use my hooter near them, particularly when they're in front of me. (Do you have any idea how terrifying it can be as a cyclist to hear someone hooting right behind you? Enough to make you fall off your bike!)

I'm not perfect, I admit that. (Just check the number of speeding fines I've had in the past 3 months!) But I try to see both sides and I try to make allowances for both sides. Is it really that hard for others to do? Surely, if we're going to try and build a better future for ourselves, for this country, we should stop and listen to each other? Isn't that the rational thing to do? Or am I just some weirdo out on a limb here?

I get so frustrated at the stupidity I see around me, the entrenched stereotypes that only serve to create misunderstanding and conflict. Sometimes I want to take some people and shake them: Wake up and smell the coffee - your reaction is only making things worse!

1 comment:

B said...

Well Argus fever has hit cape town. My two 'favourite'experiences of the last week...
A pack of 15 or so going straight through the red light at the bottom of suikerbossie in Hout Bay. It was close, very very close!
And people on cycles with ipods, so not only do they cycle erratically BUT they also cannot hear a damn thing, like cars behind them!!
Grr Lucky me back in Aussie! Enjoy the Argus Cape Town, next time I will come after the race.