Thursday, May 03, 2007

Boys toys

Yes, the little munchkin seems to have deveoped a real liking for boys' toys... cars, trucks, motorbikes, buses... not that I'm into gender-stereotyping or anything... well, maybe just a little. I get so fed up with people referring to her as 'him' when I dress her in blue (she has SO many clothes that are blue - given to us, I might add, not my first choice)... she does NOT look like a boy - not if you actually LOOK at her face. But I guess people don't really look. Anyway, so now she's playing with boys' toys, I just know that even more people are going to comment on my 'son'. AAARRRGHH!

But her fascination is such that I even persuaded Graeme to let me buy her a dump truck. And several little cars. And a bus. And a train. And a motorbike.

And then to compensate, I bought her a basket full of toy food - veg, fruit, tins... and I really wanted to buy her a toy vacuum cleaner... and a whole toy kitchen set... but I was stopped by the man with the wallet who reminded me that money does not grow on trees.

And now she's into dinosaurs. She nearly bullied another boy into letting her take all the dinosaurs at playgroup today... sigh! (She can be quite feisty when she sets her mind on something. Hmm... I wonder who she gets that from?!) She has a lovely dinosaur book at home that she loves reading. Maybe I should buy her a few...?

3 comments:

Anne said...

Hi you 3....its Debbie's mum here. I just had to comment on the cars etc......Debbie had a wonderful collection of Matchbox cars when she was about Nellie's age........she eventually passed them on to David, but somehow he could never see why they should all have names!!!! Then Barbie appeared on the scene...hey ho....Re the nap/no nap thingy...been there too...lol with 2 generations!!!!...in desperation......a good video that lasts about half an hour that you can 'watch' together.....just a thought.....take care.x.x.

MazBrost said...

I've tried NOT to go the video route because I know how bad it is for kids. (The latest report concurs by saying that for children under 3 TV should not be allowed at all as it causes brain development problems.) However, of late I have been VERY tempted to record some of the CBeebies programmes to watch with her - especially Extreme Animals - for that very reason that it would mean a bit of down time for both of us when she's fractious. Sigh! Yet another decision to make whose outcome I will never be able to know for certain...

Anne said...

Hi.... hmmmmm who decided TV was totally bad? I didn't mean plonk her down in front of it for ages, but something you could watch together for a short time, while you relaxed too. When does the harm it does begin to show????? as I'm afraid I must be guilty of damaging my children. Don't believe everything you read!! take some of it with a pinch of salt....then decide for yourself. take care.x Anne.