Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ag sweet!

Just before I put Nellie down for a nap this afternoon we were standing in the passage. She was, once again, chewing on her fingers. So I asked her whether she had an "owwie". She nodded her head, made the sign for "owwie". So I asked her where it was "owwie". She made the sign again, and pointed to her teeth ("feef")! Now I ask you with tears in my eyes - isn't that the sweetest thing?

So then I asked her whether she wanted Mommy to make the "owwie" "all gone". She nodded, and repeated "all gone". I asked her to come into the kitchen for some medicine (meddies), which she did - opening her mouth in readiness for it before I'd even poured it on the spoon.

This kid is smart, let me tell you. She just needs a way to communicate with the rest of us idiots.

We were out in the garden earlier and there was a pile of leaves, sticks and small stones that the wind had blown into one corner of our patio. Nellie wanted to sit on the little wall behind this pile of stuff, but because she was bare foot, she didn't want to walk over it. I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to either. My little feet are pretty tender - it's all this wearing shoes thing in the UK... Anyway, when I showed her how to rake the leaves away using her rake, she was thrilled and spent the next 15 minutes raking the stuff everywhere - and I do mean everywhere. Again, wish I'd thought to video it...

Still, she had fun, and that's all the matters. Being clean and tidy, I'm learning, is just not going to happen when there's a toddler in the house, so it's pointless fighting it or getting my guts in a knot about it. (Later on I did go and sweep it all up though... I can only bear it for so long...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, first time I am visiting your blog. very cool. My Dad is the only person who doesn't read Tertia's and my blog. Glad actually in Tertia's case... way too much Cooter talk!
How is the grand pack up going? How is all your stuff getting to SA?
mel