Wednesday, June 13, 2007

As most of you know, I had a series of bloods taken before I was induced with Zoe. One set came back as questionable, so I had to repeat it recently, to confirm the results. After eventually pestering my consultant, I got my them back tonight.

I'm clear of diabetes, so I probably just had pregnancy diabetes (that will need monitoring during any future pregnancy). However, as suspected, I do have Antiphospholipid syndrome (also known as 'sticky blood' or Hughes' syndrome)

While my APS did not cause Zoe's death, or Janel's prem birth, women with APS suffer a high incidence of unexplained miscarriage, prem birth and stillbirth. Even with treatment (which would be a daily injection of heparin plus possibly daily doses of aspirin) in any future pregnancy, there is still a 25% chance of either a miscarriage, prem birth or stillbirth. Without treatment, the risk is much higher.

Fortunately, it does not seem bad enough at present to require me to take aspirin on a daily basis for the rest of my life, although I should take it in times of high risk (like when travelling long distances). I should ensure that I don't sit for long periods of time at my desk without walking around, drink plenty of fluids (which I'm bad at anyway) and have my blood monitored regularly.

[APS is not inheritable, so Janel (and future children) should be safe. However, as Graeme ALSO has this condition (what are the odds of that?!), in addition to his other blood disorders, we've been advised to have her checked when she reaches adulthood (around 18 yrs) anyway because she may well be genetically disposed to blood disorders.]

While knowing this doesn't bring Zoe back, it helps to know. And it makes Janel's survival and birth all the more miraculous. While I want another baby, at least now I know the risks involved of losing any number of future children and can go into the pregnancy prepared for the worst. At least now, if I know something is wrong (which I did with Zoe - if only I had known this then... she might still be alive now if I had known and asked for an induction...), I can make the decision about inducing labour or having an emergency c-section without needing to come across as a paranoid mother! At least now, because I know the risks, I will treasure every moment with my next child, rather than taking it for granted the way I did with Zoe.

So there we are.

No comments: