Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Gratitude day #29

About 3 months ago I did a "personality" assessment that actually looks at your strengths, rather than your personality type. It's called 'Strengths Finder" by Gallup. It costs about R100 to do, online, and it gives you a pretty reasonable analysis of your top 5 strengths.

I wasn't too surprised to learn that my top strength is 'Achiever'. An achiever is someone who is really very good at making lists and then completing everything on the list. Achievers frequently have a high work capacity - and I do.

In the past I've felt guilty about being a list maker, and about the satisfaction I get from ticking things off on my list. Having done this assessment, one of the benefits I've experienced is a validation of who I am. Now, I'm proud to be a list maker, and to derive satisfaction from ticking off items.

With that in mind, today I was grateful, yet again, to be a list maker. I was incredibly productive today and I managed to tick off several items that have been sitting on my desk for far too long. I was grateful that I had a list, because otherwise I think I would have wasted a lot of time today, wondering what I should be doing. By having a list I was able to focus my energies, assess the priority of items on the list and the length of time required to finish them, and by so doing I was able to order my day more effectively. I love it when a plan comes together!

No comments: