Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Roles

Who are you? When you're at work, who are you? When you're at home, who are you? Are you different when you're at home to when you're at work? If so, why do you show different facets of yourself in these two key areas in your life? I found myself pondering these questions today.

At my last school, the school counsellor took it upon herself to brighten the lives of the staff. She'd periodically arrange for cakes or a meal for the entire staff, just 'because'. She's occasionally put a joke in our pigeon holes. She'd wear VERY odd clothing - just to make us laugh. She's a star!

At my new school, I find myself falling into the same role. Food is not an issue because we eat enough to feed all the starving millions in Ethiopia! (We eat together every Friday, and then several other days of the month too.) But I've found myself taking on a role of caring for the staff by brightening their lives through humour. I'm not sure whether it's the done thing or not, or whether anyone takes offence, but from the few people who've taken the trouble to respond, I'm really pleased to see that at least some people have a lighter moment.

I think I'm doing it for two reasons - firstly because my own life is so stressed, and secondly because I wish there was someone around to lighten my day. As a manager, I feel it's my responsibility to do for my team (and by extension, the rest of the staff) what I wish someone would do for me. It's the least I can do, really, in gratitude to my former colleague who made me laugh out loud when I was stressed.

No comments: