Monday, March 24, 2008

24 March 2008

Today, precisely one year ago, my second daughter was born. She was perfect in every respect - except one. She had 10 toes, 10 fingers, the most gorgeous curly ginger-blonde hair, with red rosebud lips. Her heart was perfect, her brain was perfect. In fact, all her organs were perfect. Physically, she had not a single defect. Unfortunately, she was stillborn.

Before going into labour I had known she was already dead, yet giving birth to her was a great blessing. She was, and always will be, my precious angel. I still miss her with a passion that sometimes frightens me.

Today we remember her birth, the joy of my pregnancy with her, and the pain of losing her too soon. Today we look forward to the day when we will all be together - her, Janel, Graeme and I - as the family we are in spirit now.

To commemorate her birth, we bought an indigenous tree that we planted in a pot (to enable us to take it with us when we move house). We scattered some of Zoe's ashes in the pot when we planted it, so that she will live on in some measure in this plant and the seeds it produces.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you; remembering and grieving with you on this side of the equator. Beautiful tree and a beautiful idea.