Monday, July 16, 2007

One day down...

I survived!! Graeme survived! Nellie survived! One day down... hundreds to go.

Although I had to fluff some lessons, I got through the day fine. It all felt a bit shambolic, but I got through without too much hassle. The boys seem lovely on the whole, although there are always going to be the troublemakers. I think I've already sussed who 2 of them will be. We'll see how things progress. I'm not too worried about the obvious ones - I'm worried about the ones who will be more subtle about their shenanigans, and in a school like this, there are likely to be more of them.

The head announced in assembly this morning that I would be there till Christmas - so it seems he's going to make it difficult for me to leave. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand it's really nice to be wanted. On the other, I really don't know whether I want to stay in teaching.

My HoD was asking me this afternoon whether I'd had any thoughts about it. I just laughed and said something to the effect of 'you've got to be crazy!' I just don't know how to play this one. I asked him to give me some time to think it through. He apparently had a conversation with the head today, and it seems the head is very determined to make me a full time member of staff - however he can. Apparently the post I'm covering has been filled for next year, but the head is prepared to make space for me, combining with science and/ or maths/ or whatever, to ensure that I stay. I'm not quite sure how to say that I'll stay if they pay me decently.... not to my HoD anyway. I could probably say that to the head if he asked me outright....

.... but I really missed Nellie today. I don't know how I feel about being full time and missing out on her growing up as a permanent thing. I might ask about part-time options for next year. Ag, I don't know - so many things to consider! Maybe I need some food in my stomach to help me think - and some sleep. This getting up at 6am is for the birds!

One thing's for sure - I LOVE being surrounded by Cape Coloureds again (I have no idea now what the PC term for them is, so I just hope they'll forgive me if calling them that offends them!) - they just have such joy in their approach to life. They're fun to be around, and I've really missed that camaraderie with pupils.

Who knows - maybe teaching in the UK was so soul destroying that I need this school to make me fall in love with teaching again. I just don't know right now. And I'm not going to be pushed into making that decision just yet. Time for food!

1 comment:

seethroughfaith said...

It's been my prayer that you'd fall in love with teaching again ... and loving seeing what He does in you and for you.

Sure it's hard not to be with Nellie 24/7 but this is a GREAT opportunity for Graeme and Nellie to bond more and I bet she's so glad to see you at the end of the day.

Christmas isn't so far away ... unfortunately for us that means winter isn't either ... but thanking God that YOUR SOUL is being made alive again - and that he's restoring colour and vibrant life once more.

Take it one day at a time - in step with the Spirit and preach always occasionally using words :)