Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The glory of the Lord shone around

Do you ever have those moments when you suddenly catch a glimpse of something so beautiful it literally takes your breath away?

I had one of those last week. I was driving home from a meeting in town, as the sun was setting. As I came around the mountain, back to the southern suburbs, along De Waal Drive, I suddenly noticed how the light of the setting sun was falling on the Hottentots Holland mountains. It was so beautiful that it literally took my breath away. If it hadn't been for the traffic around me, forcing me to watch the road, I think I might have just stopped, right there, in the middle of Hospital Bend, to watch the sun set (or rather, to not watch the sun set, but to watch the dying light playing across the mountains).

Words don't do it justice - and I'm not a wordsmith. I wish I could capture the image stored in my memory, complete with the emotions I felt at the sight, and share it with you like a 4D movie (3D plus emotions!). It was majestic, and awe-inspiring. The peaks of the mountains were lit up in such a way that the entire mountain range was highlighted. My eyes truly felt ravenous as I tried so hard to imprint the beauty of the moment into my ridiculously poor memory. I felt like singing Julie Andrews' "The hills are alive", but instead of with the sound of music, with the sound of light!

The mountains declare the glory of the Lord. I tell you what, if that light display was just a shadow of God's glory to come, then we are going to be utterly speechless when we see the full glory of God revealed. I had a fresh revelation of why the Old Testament prophets bowed down with their faces touching the ground on those rare occasions when God spoke to them personally. It's the only response to such a vision of glory.

No comments: