Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dream.... dream dream dream, dreeeeeeeeeam...

I dream in glorious surround-sound technicolour. I think I might have mentioned this before. I'm used to having incredibly vivid dreams. But sometimes, my dreams freak me out.

Like the one I had last night/ this morning.

Totally freaked me out.

I dreampt there was an American boy who was in my class on an exchange programme. While he was here, I discovered that he was involved in a cult in which astral travel was something used to engage in a sort of gaming activity (you know, like a LAN event, but on the astral plane) in which he was getting bullied and beaten up. When he'd been beaten up "out there" he would come to school with physical marks from his spiritual beating. In addition to the physical markings from being beaten, the kids who were part of this cult developed these moon-like (alien size) eyes of solid colours (mostly red, blue and dark green) when they'd spent quite a bit of time "out there", and the colour of their eyes would cloud over if they were bleeding internally. He had these clouded over moon-like eyes a lot. Enough to really scare me, because I didn't how how close he was to being killed.

I told you it was weird. But wait - there's more!

Then I dreamt that this boy was actually the son of someone I know, the brother of a girl I teach. He was given away for adoption at birth, and his adoptive parents moved to the US soon after. They didn't know that he was here, or what he was involved in.

As the dream continued, it became clear that my job, in addition to being his teacher, was to save him from this group, to save him from the bullying and beatings. I tried to get to him, to talk to him, to help him, but to do that, I had to be circumspect, because otherwise the group would kill me. I managed to get to him, and to start talking to him, but he was unwilling to let me help him, because "out there" it was very hard to keep secrets. Then, the group leaders began to suspect something, began to suspect me, so I had to come up with a plan that would still gain me access back to the group, so that I could save this boy, but not be a lie (since in this dream-world lies were as plain to see on the astral plane as a flashing red light is.... and these teenagers were walking around totally aware of the astral plane all the time (the serious 'gamers', that is, who were the cult leaders).

So - that's really weird, right? Freak-out weird, right? Stuff to make a really serious horror movie out of, right? (Now you see why I don't watch horrors - they just feed my brain stuff it really doesn't need.)

At this point, I half awake. I know I'm awake. I know I've just had this totally weird dream, but I'm not sure how much I'm awake, whether any of what I've just 'experienced' is real and how much is just my dream. Lying in bed, I start trying to work out what's what, and I begin to ponder this dream - why I had it, about the content, about whether it means anything (I firmly believe that God speaks through dreams). God has given me dreams before, and they are always weird. Always. This one is weird enough to potentially be from God. So the question I'm left with is - is it, or isn't it?

I gave God a "fleece" test, which didn't work out, so I'm going to assume that it wasn't a dream from God - just an INCREDIBLY weird one. What freaks me out though is not just the subject matter - astral travel - but the violence I witnessed in the dream, and the combination of the two.

As I said, it's not often that a dream freaks me out, but this one definitely did. It has remained with me all day, in the back of my mind. I have no idea what sparked the contents, so I have no idea how to prevent a recurrence. And unfortunately for me, past history shows that when I have an 'ordinary' dream that is totally weird, I dream it recurrently (anywhere from once a month to once a week, sometimes for years)..... I really don't want to dream this one again, let alone dream it several times over.

No comments: