Sunday, April 05, 2009

Lessons from Nixon's administration

At the moment, it seems like I get most of my news via Twitter, since I can't recall when last I watched the news (let alone the news headlines) or listened to the news on the radio. (I very, very seldom have the time to read a paper.) Today's headlines are rather depressing - firstly that poor Tsvangirai has lost his grandson a few mere weeks after losing his wife, and that it looks like the charges against Zuma will be dropped. My heart is downcast for Tsavangirai. I can't imagine his grief. My prayers are with him and his entire family.

This whole Zuma business is also rather depressing. On the one hand, I believe the courts to be fair and just, particularly the Constitutional Court. That means that, if Zuma is not charged, I have to believe there are good reasons for it - like the fact that maybe he's not guilty. On the other hand, I believe that most of SA's leadership is corrupt and not above accepting bribes or putting their own personal interests above that of the nation. If I'm right, that means that there is a HUGE possibility that the 'damning' evidence Zuma may have on Mbeki and others would prove so embarrassing for the government that the prosecutors have been ordered not to see justice prevail in the 'interests of national security' or something.

Zuma was acquitted 3 years ago of rape charges. I still believe he's guilty. Why? Because proving a rape is nigh on impossible in the current legal system. In this area, I have no faith in our justice system. I believe that Zuma is a crook, as well as a rapist, but I'm facing the facts that he will probably be SA's next president. Since I believe that most of SA's leadership are also crooks, that means I don't think much will change for us. We'll still be ruled by men (mostly) who are egocentric. Those few women in power are just as corrupt, in my books. There are a few notable exceptions in both camps. I wish these few stalwarts strength in the coming days and pray that more honorable men and women are voted into power. I'm afraid I don't hold much hope of that happening though - we live in a corrupt and fallen world; having corrupt leaders is par for the course.

As I've been contemplating this debacle though, I've been put in mind of US politics, and the Watergate scandal of Nixon's era (1974). I read the autobiography of Chuck Colson, Nixon's chief counsel, a long while back. During his prosecution and imprisonment, Colson became a Christian, and now heads up Prison Fellowship (amongst other massive achievements). His description of the time has similarities with the current situation with Zuma. Colson confessed that he was guilty - maybe not of the crimes that the rest of the administration was, but certainly he had committed various other crimes. Instead of avoiding a prison sentence, he took the honourable route of accepting a prison sentence, if the judge saw fit to hand one down, which he did.

Some people have argued that if you were falsely charged with some crime, you would do everything in your power to have those charges dropped. Surely going to court and presenting your evidence there is the best route to proving your innocence? Or am I misguided on this? Most guilty people will avoid court, because they know that once inside the courtroom the evidence against them will cause them to be convicted. Only guilty people seek to hide from the light of justice. Those who are innocent know they can withstand the scrutiny. Ergo, I must conclude that Zuma is guilty.

To my mind, we have here two examples of character: a guilty man who was prepared to take his punishment (Colson), and a man who is doing everything in his power to avoid going to court (Zuma). Who would you trust? Personally, I'd trust Colson. Personally, I don't trust Zuma at all. If he was as innocent as he claims, why not prove it in court? If Mbeki is as guilty as Zuma claims, the this country needs to know about it, and what better place to do so than in court?

I think the reason that Zuma is avoiding court is that, as I've said on this blog before, the ANC leadership has lost all perspective. They appear to have lost touch with their roots, their heritage, their raison d'etre. Once, they were concerned with human rights and justice for all. Now, it would seem they are merely concerned with power - retaining the power they have and getting more of it. That makes them no different to the NP of old.

The NP used physical violence to maintain their hold on SA society and to subjugate the majority of this population. The ANC today is using bribery, corruption and denial of the truth to attempt to hoodwink the uneducated populace into voting them into power again. Both routes would ultimately result in the ruin of this country. Abusing democracy, whether to have a secret army that goes around imprisoning & torturing people or to retain power in order to have access to personal wealth creation tools (e.g. bribes), while trying to appear as if you uphold it is treachery of the worst kind in my book. For this reason, I am supremely grateful that COPE has been established, and I hope that it wreaks havoc on the ANC's campaigning. I won't be voting for COPE, but I hope they garner a tremendous amount of support.

What this country needs most though, is for Christians across the political divide to get together and pray. I believe the future of this country is approaching a knife edge, or a cross-roads, and the path we take will either lead to our eventual success, or our eventual downfall (think Zimbabwe). I can see a future in which the ANC leads us into becoming another Zimbabwe. I can also see a future in which we become an even stronger nation. In our first democratic election, widespread bloodshed and rioting was predicted. It did not come to pass. I believe the reason was that the People of God got on their knees and beseeched God to intervene - and I believe he did just that. It seems to me that such a time is on hand again. "IF my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, AND turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear them from heaven, forgive their sin and heal their land."* Isn't it time we corporately confessed again, that this nation might be saved from further corruption and ruin?

The lesson from Nixon's administration is that when corrupt people genuinely admit (and repent of) their corruption and seek God's forgiveness, he raises them up again to become incredibly powerful individuals. So here's a gauntlet for Mr. Zuma: will you bow your knee to the Eternal God, forgo the power you so desperately seek to attain, and allow God to determine your future? For should you choose to do so, you may be surprised at what He gives back to you. If you choose not to though, be warned: 'This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live."** As a child of this nation, I hope and pray you make the right choice, Mr Zuma, because, potentially, the fate of this nations rests on your shoulders. To those who much is given, much is required. When you are called to give an account of the role you played in South African politics, and the leadership you have given this country, I hope you will be able to withstand the scrutiny - for your sake as much as for ours.

*2 Chronicles 7:14
** Deuteronomy 30:19

No comments: