Friday, August 22, 2008

Where are my tap shoes?

(With apologies to Robert Frost)

Three stories converged in a yellow afternoon,
And thrilled I had travelled them all
while being one traveller, long I stood
and thought back through all three as far as I could
to where they began their tale...

Story #1: Just last night, I had been watching Top Billing on TV, and they'd done a promo on Lord of the Dance (now in it's 16th year, or something ridiculous) that is coming to SA next month. I've seen it on TV, and loved it, and I thought to myself that I really ought to get off my butt and organise tickets for the Cape Town show (especially as the venue is almost in our back garden), as a special treat for me and G, because we really don't have enough (any??) 'us' time.

Story #2: I never win anything in competitions. At school, I had a friend who, along with the rest of her family, were so well known amongst radio stations for winning their competitions that at least one radio station had barred them from calling to enter competitions more than once per week! They won ALL kinds of stuff. It was amazing.

Me? Well, firstly my general knowledge sucks, and secondly I have no memory for names (faces, yes, names - not so much). That severely limits the competitions I can enter. And then, when I do manage to hear/ see the competition, know the answer, and have the means to enter (ie, pen and paper to take down details, or my phone to sms), I never win. It's like a law, or something. So I don't bother to enter the Lotto, because I know I'll never win.

Story #3: Today, after school finished, I was rushing around doing LL stuff. As I left the house, my errands lay in two completely different directions. So as I pulled out, I had to make the decision about which direction to head off in first. Would I go towards town first, or out to the industrial areas first? After changing my mind several times, I eventually decided to head off to town. On my way, I was listening to the radio. Now, every Friday, my preferred station has a give away. They have a team out on the road, and they give away some really lovely prizes. The deal is that you have to go to them, and do or say something, after which you get the free stuff. Of course, I'm usually on the other side of the city from them when this happens, so I seldom pay attention to it.

And now the convergence... BUT NOT TODAY! Nope. No sooner had they announced the start of the competition, and given their location, than I realised I was right around the corner. So off I dashed to get the free stuff. And what was the free stuff, I hear you ask? Well, let me give you a clue. To get it, I had to do a little jig. Yup - that's right folks. The free stuff was two tickets to 'Lord of the Dance'!!

Now, I know that some people will think that's an amazing coincidence, but I really believe that God had a hand in it. Firstly, my chess matches were cancelled for today, enabling me to have the time to run around. Secondly, I could have chosen to go to the industrial areas first (which means I wouldn't have heard the announcement, because I would already have been in the workshop). Thirdly, what are the odds of the very thing I thought about getting last night being the free stuff being given away today?

I think God wants to bless us with some time out on our own. So we're going to arrange a babysitter for the night, and head off for a little dinner and the show - just us. I'm thrilled! Thanks, Lord, for arranging all the little coincidences nicely for us.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Very cool, very cool indeed. ENJOY your night out :)