Friday, July 18, 2008

Say what?

Did you know that less than 50% of the current Grade 10s achieved the required standards for numeracy and about 30% of them achieved the required standards for literacy when they were in Grade 3?

I have to say, it comes as no shock to me when I see how the kids I teach write!

And did you know that of the 2.5million Gd 9s currently in the system, only 0.5million are projected to actually finish matric? And of those, 50 000 will leave with no certification at all.

I am galled by the fact that, in the light of these and other facts, the Education Dept spokesperson was quoted in the Cape Times a few days ago as saying that if the current matrics fail, it's their own fault because the 'Dept has done everything in its power to help them'.

I think not!

No comments: