Sunday, May 18, 2008

Especially for you

The original purpose of this blog was to enable those back in SA to follow our lives in the UK. Since moving to SA, I often find myself wondering why I continue writing it. Sometimes it feels that, since it no longer fulfils its original mandate, that maybe its purpose has been served.

I've realised though, that since blogging, I've completely given up writing my journal. This writing process has become, to a large extent therefore, my journal. While there are things that I sometimes feel I can't or don't want to share with the wider world (although I am trying to blog the bad and ugly as well as the good - an honest warts-and-all picture of my life rather than a misleading picture-perfect one), I have been intrigued to see that the medium of blog has definitely altered the topics I choose to record.

In addition, I am reminded from time to time that there are others - friends around the world - who lurk religiously on this blog, or who occasionally post a comment:
  • Bee - thank you SO much for the frog card - it has pride of place on my pin board at work, where it reminds me that even when I feel most alone, I am surrounded by a 'cloud of witnesses'.
  • I was also gratified this weekend to be told by one such friend that reading my blog is a (minor) highlight of her week, and that she gets miffed if I haven't updated recently. So Nikki - this post is especially for you! I will endeavour to keep you entertained with plenty of posts to read.
And to the rest of you reading this, who read my ramblings, thank you for doing so!

No comments: