Thursday, May 17, 2012

My son, the singer

Every night I sing to the kids as I put them into bed. The current favourite (which has been Nathan's song of choice for almost 2 years!) is the jazz lullaby 'Summertime". Until he and Nellie started sharing a room, she would request a different song every night, but he's definitely stuck in the rut - not that I mind at all. I've enjoyed  working on my performance of it each night, gradually developing my own version of it in my head. (I can now hear all the different instruments as well as my own voice!)

Just this past week, Nathan has made a stunning development - not in choice of song though. No, instead he has started adding his own voice to the mix! Instead of it being a case of me singing to him, it has become a duet. (Aaaaaaaahh!! He's just so cute!) I love hearing his little voice, trying to copy the jazz nuances....

Around the same time, he's started singing in the car - I'm not sure if it's a song he's made up himself, or something he's learnt at nursery, but it's definitely not a song I know. (It might be a mix version of 'Clap your hands all you people' with 'If you're happy and you know it', actually!) It's rather cute though.

Sitting watching American Idol tonight, I wonder whether my little songbird will grow and develop any real talent in this area. He certainly has the personality to be on screen!

No comments: