Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mini-Expo


Yesterday saw a project I've been working on for weeks come to fruition: 230 children from 18 different schools from Greater Cape Town show off their unfinished science projects, in preparation for Eskom Expo in August. This event offers the Expo committee and the judges the opportunity to work with disadvantaged schools to improve the teaching and understanding of the scientific method.

As my school was hosting it, and I am on the Expo committee, I spent many days working flat-out with the team to prepare all the logistics. It was thus with a deep sense of achievement and pride that I watched the event unfold. Despite how much work it was, it was deeply satisfying knowing the part I played in making the day happen. I was grateful for the generosity of both the school and the principal in allowing us to host the event at the school. The thing that made me most proud though, was that, in a very real way, both the school and I contributed to building our nation and improving the state of education within it. I know that for some, those are pipe dreams, but I became a teacher for days like today.

While I love teaching at this school, and I believe I’m doing good here, from time to time I catch myself wondering whether I could do MORE good by teaching at a township school. Then I have a day like today, where I’m able to facilitate the learning of not just the kids, but the teachers too, thus influencing generations of children to come. I realise afresh that I wouldn’t have those opportunities if I were teaching elsewhere. It’s because of principals like this one, a ground staff like the one we have at the school, caterers like our Consumer Studies teacher (Oh. My. Word!), fellow teachers who cover my lessons (and those of the others involved at Expo) without complaint, and the ones who simply offer the moral and technical support, that I am able to have these opportunities. So, a huge thank you for today must go to them.

Put 135 projects, 235 kids, 18 schools, and 25 judges together, and this is what you get!

But back to the day itself…. The vibe in the hall was incredible! There was a constant buzz as children from different backgrounds and schools connected with each other, and children and adults discussed science. To occupy the children while pre-judging took place, we had Detlef from Cape Town ScienCentre (who is a stalwart on the Expo committee, and that at age 77!) present a science show, which included “magically” changing the colour of water, putting a knitting needle through a balloon without popping it, and creating a 1m 5000oC flame, not to mention other fabulously loud bangs and explosions. Needless to say, all the children (and teachers) were thrilled! More than that though, if these same children will bring their completed projects to Expo, having learnt a great deal more about science. Some may even pursue a career in science as a result of this experience. What a great day!

No comments: