Monday, July 04, 2011

A new era

Today marked the dawning of a new era in our lives: the era in which both our kids are at school. It has finally happened - my baby boy is no longer a baby. He started at playschool/ creche/ nursery school today. He'll only be going for 3 mornings a week, but it still feels like a significant step for us.

He's at the same place that Nellie went. It's a bit of a drive from where we live, but we love the place and staff and other kids there, so we're prepared to make the drive, for the moment at least. (By comparison, there's another place around the corner from us in the next street... we've put his name down on the waiting list for next year, but if he gets in, I don't know how we'll choose between them.)

Since we're on holiday, Nellie is going with him for those 3 mornings. We're hoping that having her around with him will help him to settle in. Also, because they're not as structured during the holidays, I'm hopeful that he will settle more easily. We've got 2 weeks until we're back at school (and then things will become INCREDIBLY manic - but I'm not going to think about that now). Nellie took 6 months to settle and stop crying when I left. Will 2 weeks be enough for the boy, or is he also going to cry for 6 months?

I really hope not. Please God, not! I hope he learns to love it really soon.

No comments: