Thursday, July 14, 2011

What a buzz!!

And no - I'm not talking about Google Buzz at all! (Although... I have recently joined up on Google+ - the verdict is still out on that one.)


The buzz I'm referring to the one I get when I learn new stuff. I'm delivering a professional growth course for some of our staff, starting next week Wed, and for the following 4 Wed mornings. In my head, I'm calling it "Whizz Bang!" It looks at the basics of how to use animations in PPT, and how to find and download images, videos and music. Then, if there's time, I'll teach them how to create their own animations using Automatoon - or maybe teach them how to create a Prezi.


Anyway, as part of this whole thing, I had to be sure that I know how to do all those things. I wanted to create a fun way for people to learn at their own pace, so I decided that for the animations in PPT thing (which is something that others will no doubt want to learn) I would create my own training video, which I can save onto the server, so people can access it themselves.


Only one problem with this. I had no idea how to do it. So I set about learning how. And I did, in fact, manage to do just that. Unfortunately, since it's nearly 100Mb (yup... I guess I used the wrong video codec...) I'm not going to upload it onto the web (that will take about 2.5hrs!). Instead, I'll simply transfer it directly to the school server. That means that I can't show you what I did.


But I'm still very proud of myself for having learnt how to use a new piece of software while designing something that any of our staff can use in their own time to learn a skill that will definitely improve their PPTs. (Some of our staff only learnt how to use PPT at the beginning of this year, and that was the most basic info only.)


So herewith, a HUGE pat on my back.


Now, of course, I still need to finish my Prezi, and there's still a pile of marking to do. I'm hoping the buzz will last long enough through tomorrow that I'll be able to get through the boring stuff...

No comments: