Sunday, July 17, 2011

The end of the road

Well, not really - just the end of the holidays, but it definitely feels like the end of a journey, and I feel travel weary! As my dear hubby keeps reminding me though - quality time with family is more important than ticking off items on my to-do list. He's right, but I'm a list kinda gal... so I'll make myself happy by creating a list of stuff we've done. :)

1) Bought a new (used) car (YAY!!!!!)
2) Sold my old car. (YAY!! We were worried that it wouldn't sell at all because it's an import.)
3) Nellie finally became confident riding her bike, so we rode around the neighbourhood a lot - the first time we've ever had Nellie riding on her bike while I read mine.
4) G put up some shelves in the office.
5) Nellie went to her first holiday club.
6) Nathan started at nursery 3 mornings a week.
7) We went to the Aquarium.
8) Nellie had a sleepover at Oupa's.
9) We cleaned up the garden a bit.
10) We went to see Kung Fu Panda 2.
11) We went to Kirstenbosch.
12) We put up some pictures on the wall.
13) We tidied up a few electrical items that were in the way.
14) We went to Simons Town for the day and saw penguins and baboons.
15) We had several playdates (Matt, Johari, Granny).
16) We went to the Baxter to see the 3 Little Pigs.
17) We went to two kiddies parties.
18) We went horse-riding.
19) Nellie has started to learn how to play the piano. (I'm teaching her, which is surprisingly good!)
20) G gave a few adult classes on Excel.
21) I worked on the family photo album.
22) We had a few people over for coffee/ supper.
23) We helped out at KidZone at church.
24) We helped with the church's clothing sorting project.
25) G started counselling.
26) G went to an Apple conference.
27) We read LOTS of books.
28) Nathan and I jumped on the trampoline a lot - he learnt to 'boingy, boingy' then ask Mommy to pick him up so he could watch the trucks and trains over the wall.
29) I've started doing Powerplate at gym regularly with a gym buddy. (Those 5.30am starts are a killer, but I'm loving the exercise!)
30) I prepped the majority of the course work for a professional growth course I'm delivering over the next few weeks.
31) I made a cargo mat for my new car so that my dogs & my kids bikes don't make my car filthy.
32) I bought a bike rack and new roof racks for my new car.

It was a good holiday. The best bit was NOT getting sick, which is the usual teacher's curse. Of course, since having walked the kids to nursery one cold misty morning this past week, my chest has been tight, a bit phlemy and it definitely feels like I'm incubating a cold. (Just in time for school. Oh joy!)

But it was a good holiday! And I thank God that we have the jobs we have so that we can have the time with our kids and at home that we have.

No comments: