Sunday, March 20, 2011

Goomy? Goemie?

I don't suppose it matters how you spell it. I'm also guessing that it has a variety of different names, depending on location and the generation one speaks to. What on earth am I talking about? A game, of course. But not just any game. Nope, this is a very special game; one I played for YEARS as a child.

It's a jumping game that can be played alone, as individuals, or in teams. All that is required is a few pairs of pantyhose tied together, or a long loop of elastic (and a few chairs if you're going to be playing alone). There are 4 levels at which the jump "rope" can be held - ankles, knees, hips and just under the arms. Then, the "rope" can be normal width (using both legs), or "skinny" (around one leg or with the body turned sideways to reduce the diameter). Finally, there are about 20 different patterns that I can remember (I'm sure there must be more though) that one has to jump through - and each pattern must be completed at each physical level in both normal and skinny. The final hurdle is that each pattern, at each physical level, in both normal and skinny, must also be completed while jogging.

In the team version, every member of the team must complete each sequence before the team can advance. In addition, during 'running' every team member must continue to jog on the spot, even if they are not actually jumping. Should one member stop, the team forfeits their turn.

It's a fabulous game that gives literally hours of entertainment as one negotiates the different levels of difficulty. I haven't played since I was in primary school though - a good 20 plus years ago. So what made me think of it? Nellie's Grade R teacher gave us some exercises to do with her at home to improve her low muscle tone in her pectoral girdle (upper body), and lo, and behold! Goemie is mentioned (though not in as much detail, or with that name, of course)!

I was amazed at how much I can still remember of this game, and how excited I got about the prospect of teaching it to Nellie. I wonder whether I can still do it all - it's a lot easier to jump neatly when you don't have wobbly bits all over.... (as my husband helpfully pointed out yesterday: I would do well at belly dancing because I have one of the most important requirements - a belly. Hmpf!)

Isn't it amazing though how memory works? I can't remember all kinds of other things, from far more recently, but I can remember something from more than 20 years ago with such clarity. I guess repetition must have something to do with it, and I certainly did have plenty of that where this game is concerned!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

I have great memories of Goomie - I remember how we all giggled when Miss Lentin referred to it as Gooooomie in assembly once. We even had a game for old times' sake on our last day of Matric. Good idea to try it with the kids - we've also had the "low muscle tone" chat with J's teacher.

Jo said...

I remember Goomie! Do you guys know if this was played all over SA? Kate mentions Miss Lentin which makes me wonder if you were also at Rustenburg. (I was there from 1984-1986, sub A, sub B and standard 1.)

Nixgrim said...

Yes, I'm also a Rusty Bug.