Friday, April 09, 2010

Foodie weekend

We've had a few really great meals of late. The first was in Sedgefield, at Scarab. The village was holding a Slow Festival which included an evening of Boulle and Backgammon at Scarab. Ryan, the chef, made THE MOST DIVINE veg lasagne. I could easily have eaten seconds and thirds... The Boulle and backgammon was a lot of fun too - definitely to be repeated, methinks, next year.

The second was an evening out at Marko's African Place Restaurant in Bo-Kaap. Apparently, Marko was the first black restauranteur in Cape Town. Anyway, his food is TO DIE FOR (but don't bother with dessert). I had a platter with springbok, kudu and ostrich, with a side order of samp and beans. (The Kudu won, hands down.) While it did feel rather odd sitting in a fabulous restaurant eating samp and beans, I have to say it was really great samp and beans! The venue itself is pretty cool - including the live band from the Congo whose name I still can't remember or pronounce.

The third was lunch at the Food Lover's Market in Claremont, near Cavendish. OH MY WORD! I can't believe there's a place like that that isn't in town or the Waterfront, but is actually so close to home. We will definitely be making a stop there again soon. It's a buffet style restaurant, including a lovely sushi bar, which caters for all tastes. The food was fresh and delicious. We both opted for salads, and could easily have spent far more than than R40 we each spent. If it hadn't been for the horrible truck sitting nearby and spewing out fumes, it would have been very pleasant sitting upstairs on the balcony. Such is life, I guess.

Next week it's back to peanut butter sarmies for me... or cuppa soup... But I guess I need to lose weight anyway.

No comments: