Friday, April 16, 2010

Grounded

I can't believe that there is anyone out there who doesn't yet know about the volcanic eruptions in Iceland this past month, or the effect on the airports in the UK and Europe this past week.

I've been so fascinated by the whole thing because I keep wondering whether the ash will stick around for long enough to (partially) reverse the effects of global warming. I mean, back in 1815 Mount Tambora (in Indonesia) spewed up so much ash that global temperatures dropped so much there was no summer the following year. It was rated 7 on the volcanic explosivity index. (Krakatoa was rated 6.)

If you take into account the fact that many volcanoes that have had several smaller eruptions in a short period of time have wound up having a major one, I think we're in for an interesting ride.

The airports in the UK and northern Europe are already closed. How long will they remain closed for? Will they have to close again at some later date? Can you imagine a Europe with no air traffic? Will the airlines be able to survive financially? Will that put us back to the days of relying on boats and trains more (if airlines collapse?) or will the governments give the airlines a bail-out? And if so, will that mean that airfares will have to be hiked incredibly to pay back those loans? And if so, will that mean that air traffic will reduce??????

See what I mean? I'm just BURSTING with questions about this.

While I wait impatiently to see what happens, here are some photos to keep you all entertained. OK, not really entertained, but at least they're worth looking at. Once again, they're from 'The Big Picture', which is one of my favourite photo sites.

Of course, if you're Tammy and stuck in SA when you should be making your way back to London to your job, that seriously sucks. But for the rest of us living here in the land of milk and honey, it's pretty cool.

Which reminds me of a cool joke I heard about Malema... but I'm not sure it's appropriate to put it into print... so sorry, you'll have to hear it from someone else. Oh wait - none of the Saffas can fly to the UK now, so I guess you won't be able to hear it. Bummer dude!

No comments: