Thursday, May 07, 2009

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig

So the countdown continues... only another week to go until we move into our 'new' home. I can't believe that it's almost done! There is still a fair amount to do, but it's all under control, and I think we're going to make it.

Of course, now that exams are almost upon us (they start on Monday), I've lost all enthusiasm for school. All I can think about are the things that are still on my to-do list. I'd much rather be running (OK, walking) around town getting stuff than babysitting classes (which is what it feels like at the moment). The kids aren't interested in revision, and we've finished the work. I simply don't have the energy at the moment to push them to do the revision work I've planned, which doesn't help matters either.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed today by my best class... not a single person in the class thought to give me a farewell/ good luck card.... It's not that I expect stuff from them, but I did think that if I was going to get anything, it would come from someone in this class because they are usually the nicest, most thoughtful bunch I teach, and have shown the most interest in the pregnancy. I guess the values my mother taught me aren't in operation anymore... you know - like thanking your teachers at the end of the term and giving them presents at the end of the year... Sigh!

Still, several of them DID make an effort to wish me luck, and genuinely so. Some even went so far as to work out how many days till my return. I'll post the photo I took later.

I was quite shocked in assembly, when the principal was saying farewell/ good luck to another pregnant fairy and me. His comment was: I'm sure you've seen the changes in Ms X and Ms Y, and I don't just mean physically. EXCUUUUUUSE me????? I mean, it was funny, and I laughed, but what exactly was he trying to imply? That I've got cranky? That I'm hormonal?

Fair enough, I do have serious preggy brain.... On Monday I was completing a departmental form, and I managed to mark myself down as being male. Umm... yup. Apparently, some part of my brain thinks that by having a baby growing in my uterus, I qualify as being male.

But that's besides the point!

Anyway, back to the moving story. I'm actually starting to get excited about it. Of course, it's going to drive me insane, because I'm anal and I like everything to be sorted out yesterday. Of course, it's going to take me days (if not weeks) to sort the house out, and until I do, I'm going to be cranky. Sigh! I am seriously high maintenance in this regard. Maybe I should apologise to G now, and buy him a present of some sort, to make up for how miserable I'm going to be to live with following the move.

The thing that really worries me though, is not whether or not the alarm system will be installed by then, or whether or not the burglar bars will be in, or whether or not the cupboards will be finished. No, the thing that REALLY worries me is whether or not our internet connection transfer will happen smoothly. Being without internet... being without email and FB and Twitter and Google Reader and all my cyber friends???? Inconceivable! Everything else is small fry by comparison. I can handle everything else, just don't take my internet from me!!!!!

The other minor worry (as far as everyone else is concerned, but not me) is that this move will trigger labour. Hmm.... well, if it does, good. That way, I can go on maternity leave early (I already wish I was on leave) AND I don't have to do all the exam marking which is the bane of my existence. PLUS I get the bonus of knowing that this little man will be alive and out of me (which must be safer than still in me and possibly dead). As much as I don't fear that, I hope it doesn't happen though. I really do feel I ought to finish well, and get my marking done. (Ja, I'm far too loyal and hardworking for my own good.) I also really want that week of no work to try and relax and sleep before the sleepless nights set in.

Speaking of which... I need to go and finish some marking and then head to bed. Had another insomnia attack early this morning, so I'm feeling rather a bit exhausted this evening.

No comments: