Friday, June 06, 2008

APS strikes again...

Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I doubt it. I'm starting to notice my APS symptoms more and more.

(For those who are new to my blog, I have a blood condition called Anti-Phospholipid Syndrome, which is an auto-immune disease which causes me to produce more blood clotting factors than I should. The result is that my blood is more sticky than most people's, which puts me at tremendous risk of developing Deep Vein Thromboses, and is also the cause of Janel's premature birth, and Zoe's stillbirth.)

When I was first diagnosed last year, I didn't really think I had many of the symptoms, but now I'm beginning to think that actually I have a lot more than I thought. I think I just used to write off various things as having other causes, because I couldn't explain them any other way.

Anyway, today I think another symptom occurred. I had a migraine - my second this month. I had to leave school early and come home. I can handle the dizziness, head pain (although that was really quite awful - even lying still in a dark room I wanted to cry from the pain, but it was so sore I didn't dare in case I made my eyes more sore), and I can even handle the need to move slowly and stay away from light. What I can't really handle is the nausea. There is nothing I hate more than that feeling of imminent vomiting. YUCK!

I definitely need to get my blood checked again, but I don't think we can afford it. So, we'll have to wait till October when the medical aid will (hopefully) pay for it. Sigh! Till then, I think I'm going to put myself on a daily low dose of aspirin. I hate taking drugs though. I really hate the monotony of having to remember to take a pill every day. Sigh! Maybe I can wait a few more weeks before starting.....

The other good news is that: I HAVE LOST WEIGHT!! Not only have I lost centimeters, but this morning I stood on a scale for the first time in weeks, and I've lost 3kg. WOO HOO!! That made my day, despite having a migraine later.

No comments: