Sunday, January 11, 2009

Can it really be over?

I can't believe that the holidays are nearly over. Graeme is back at work tomorrow, Nellie is back at school on Wed, and I will probably go in for at least a day later this week to do some filing before I officially start on Monday. Although we've had a fabulous time, I still feel really tired. (Having a child around does not make for a restful holiday! Plus, my nausea has continued unabated, which makes me tired in and of itself.)

My exciting news though is that I finally have my spanky new phone and I've been able to take some really lovely photos of the holiday with it. I'm looking forward to uploading them here to share with you guys.

We spent a week with my family on my brother's smallholding (termed, the Farm) for Christmas. After new year we then went up to Sedgefield to spend 10 days with the G's family (well, 5 days with the hordes, and a further 5 days just with G's folks). Both were really great times, and also very important times for Nellie, so I'm glad we went.

We had our 13 week scan and all is going well. We have another scan next week (I think). I'm not sure when we find out what the sex is, but when we can, we will. Nellie is getting to grips with the idea of the baby. For instance, she knows that the baby has to grow a lot before it will come out of Mommy's tummy, that we have to name the baby, and that she will have to share her things with the baby when it comes. Beyond that, whether she even begins to grasp how it will affect our lives, I'm not sure. I think being with Ariana on holiday was a good experience for her, because she got to ask lots of questions about babies in general - like why they cry so much and what they eat, and why they can't play properly. Of course, Ariana is already 6 months old, so I think she will still be rather shocked when she sees how helpless her sibling will be at birth!

We've had some fun and games with Discovery, but in the end everything has been sorted out. Of course, we would go through all this hassle the day before we were due to leave for our holiday, and while we were on holiday.

And so begins another year. Already I find myself thinking in terms of how many months I have left till maternity leave. The year is already broken up for me as 'before Baby' and 'after Baby'. In one sense, that's probably wise, as I'm not sure I have the energy to teach for a full year! (Then again, maybe that's more a factor of already being pregnant than a factor of how busy our holiday was.) I'm trying very hard not to contemplate what might go wrong, or the fact that I might have to teach a full year, rather than just a half year.

I'm sure this year will be easier - not studying, for one thing, will make things a lot easier. Having been at this job for a year though will also dramatically reduce the stress now at the start of the year (I hope). So all in all I'm really looking forward to this year. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things - although I'm not sure whether I should rejoice or weep that I have a Grade 8 tutor class (the babies of the school... who will want & need me to wipe their noses and give them permission to write in black rather than blue ink).

But back to photos. I'm going to upload a whole bunch (if I can get my phone to talk to the computer), and I'll put the link here, rather than post them all here I think. Anyway, we'll see.

Hope the new year delivers on its promises for you, and that you have the best year EVER!

No comments: