Friday, January 25, 2008

Busy busy busy

I am so tired. I can't believe how tired I am. I've been working flat out at school, and tonight I have hit the wall. I had this great post all worked out in my head, and now I can't remember it. Last week I hardly slept (most nights I went to bed some time after midnight and woke up when Nellie stirred at 4.30am-ish, then didn't really get back to sleep). This week I've at least slept a bit better (as has Nellie, which helps!), but I guess the hard work is catching up with me.

So - the new school... is FAB! I'm totally blown away by it. I can't even begin to say how wonderful it is. Not because the kids are perfect - far from it. Not because the work is easy - far from it. Not because it has great resources - far from it. I can't really say what it is that makes the school so amazing, but I bet it has something to do with the incredible leadership. The principal is one-of-a-kind. He has this easy balance between being laid-back and setting incredibly high standards for staff and pupils alike. The dress code is casual (which is a blessing in hot Africa!) but not beachwear, but don't let that fool you into thinking that the atmosphere is anything other than focused. And the school has a fantastic balance (I think) between being an academic institution and turning out well-rounded individuals. Sport, art and music are BIG at the school (it's well known throughout the city for its yearly drama productions), but that doesn't mean that academics are not focused upon. As an example - I am the least qualified person in my department. The others all have their Masters degrees, or are currently working on their PhD's!

I think that's what has me in awe - it's this balance across all spheres of life at the school. I've never come across that before. Either schools are too focused on sport/ music/ art/ culture, or too focused on academics. And the staff is incredible. I love my department, and I'm really getting to like the rest of the staff. I don't think I could be happier at work!

My workload is massive at the moment, but that's because the planning for this year wasn't properly thought through and because there are very few systems in place in the department. But I've just finished the bulk of a massive project to get those systems in place... I only have one task left to complete - which is to create a few spreadsheets with a few macros on them. All the field trips are taking place this term as well - which is another massive task, and we're also doing the first run through of the new matric (A-level) course. So there are big things afoot, but already I'm starting to feel the pressure ease, and I can see trees again.

So after this weekend (which I'm taking off - I think I deserve it, and I think my family deserves it!!) I can start thinking about the business again. Which I really need to do since I've now got only 5 months before the show! EEEK! I finally got my material back from the manufacturers this week, so now I can finalise the patterns and start looking for a seamstress or five.

And, in an effort to restore balance to my own life, I've started cycling to work (it's really not far - takes me 3 minutes!) and I've even got my rollerblades out of the cupboard again and I've started teaching myself to use them again! I'm determined to increase my activity levels and lose some weight.

But right now I'm going to veg in front of the TV with my darling hubbie and eat icecream! I'm whacked! Have a good weekend, wherever you are.

No comments: