Friday, March 01, 2013

TWD

Human Rights Day is coming up (21 Mar, in case you forgot). Every year it's a bit of a non-event in my life. Sad, but true. I try to spend some time thinking about how hard various nameless and faceless (in most cases) people have fought for me to enjoy the life I do - everyone from the Brits and Yanks who won WWII to the Sufragettes, to the ANC during Apartheid. I spend time thinking about what Jesus, as the greatest human rights activitst, has done for humanity.

But that's as far as it gets.

I never personally go out there and do something to help others either appreciate the rights they have, or help those who aren't free to experience their rights.

This year is different.

This year I've signed up as a TWD activist. TWD - That Was Different. Check out the website. Essentially the idea is that activists will sign up to do something crazy or weird, and get sponsored to do it. The entire proceeds will be going to various educational projects based in Cape Town that are linked to the Common Good Foundation.

What am I doing? Well, I'm taking part in a dancing flashmob. Not just any flashmob. No sirree. I get to do Thriller, and Gangam style, amongst others.

So - apart from coming to watch me (I'll post final details closer to the time, but it will be on the 21st), why not sponsor me? I'm trying to raise R1500, and I'm currently about a third of the way there. C'mon - pay me to do some silly dances to help the kids in Cape Town get a better education. You know you want to!! How? Just go to my sponsorship page on GivenGain and click the button to donate by EFT or credit card. Easypeasy. (The money doesn't come to me directly. It sits in GivenGain's allocated account until the 21st, and is then paid directly to Common Good. I only mention that in case you're worried that I'm going to use some of it for myself... ;)) 

No comments: