Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oh boy!

You should be careful what you pray for... you might just get it!

When I was pregnant with Nathan, I prayed for a child who would restore my joy after losing Zoe. I prayed that he would do that for me, but also for everyone he met - that he would be an agent of the Lord, to bring true joy and healing into the lives of everyone he touched.

This past weekend, on one occasion he had run away from me, out into the road. Fortunately, the road was one of those where I'd been able to see the whole street in a single glance, so I knew he wasn't in immediate danger. However, I decided that I needed to enforce the principle that he needs to stop when I tell him to, or to come back to me when told to do so. We've started using the "I'm going to count to 3 and then [insert consequences here]" method with him.

"Nathan! I'm going to count to three and you need to come here to Mommy, otherwise I'm going to give you a hiding!"

Picture it - driveways all over the little Close, the nearest driveway bounded by a rolled down canvas awning. Nathan turned, grinned at me, then - 

"Yes Mommy, hiding!" So pleased with himself that he understood me, and that I want to play too.

He promptly disappears behind the awning. A split second later, he reappears at the other end by jumping out and shouting "TA DA!!"

I ask you - could you do anything other than fall about laughing?

No comments: