Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mother bear kills her cub, then herself

I read something today that really upset me. It's a story released on Friday from China about a mother bear who had been kept in a bear bile farm. Upon hearing her cub's roar as it was having it's gall bladder punctured, broke free of its 'crush cage', then hugged the cub so hard she strangled it, then ran head first into a wall, killing herself.

The practice of bear farming for bear bile is a real practice in China. It is a cruel, horrendous practice. Bears are often fitted with iron vests to stop them trying to commit suicide by punching themselves in the stomach because of the amount of pain the permanent hole gives them. They live in these conditions for upwards of 15 years.

Bear bile farming is completely unnecessary because the active ingredient in bear bile can be synthesised artificially. In 2007 the Chinese government said it would rescue 500 bears from 'crush cages' as a first step in ending this ancient practice. 4 years later, this practice still occurs.

So all that is true. Whether the story about the mother cub is true or not, I'm not sure. The quick scan of the online media seems to indicate that it is, in fact, true.

I feel physically ill. How can anyone be so cruel to an animal? How can anyone lose their humanity to such an extent? I would sign a petition if I thought it would do any good, but I doubt that the Chinese government would listen to international pressure via a petition. I weep for those poor animals.

This is NOT what God had in mind when he gave us stewardship of the earth! Tonight, once again, I long for the redemption of the earth. I long for Christ's return, when all things will be made new, when all suffering - even that of creation herself and of all God's creatures, will come to an end.

No comments: