Sunday, August 14, 2011

Jungle fever

I haven't mown the lawn for about 2 or 3 weeks now. In winter, it shouldn't need mowing all that frequently. Mine needs mowing every week - but only in one part.

Why?

Because my lawn is overgrown with winter grass that is loving this combination of warm spells followed by rain.

If I mow it, I can't see where the winter grass is all that easily. If I don't, it continues to insinuate itself into the rest of the lawn. I can't afford to pay for a regular gardener and I don't really have the time to get to it myself. What to do???

This is one of the myriad of small household problems that has been on my mind of late. I guess it's part of being an adult - this whole responsibility for a house thing. (The other things include the broken shower door, the leaks in the roof, the lights that need to be replaced, the pictures that need to be put up, the garage ceiling and door that need to be attended to... etc.) If I could find someone who could guarantee they could fix everything in a day or two, I would be sorely tempted to pay them, just for the freedom from background stress it would give me.

But the weeding... I love weeding. I don't really want to palm that off on anyone else. Some people find running or swimming or playing music or whatever brings them peace. For me, I find it in weeding. It's one of the few things I can do during which I can withdrawn into myself, zone out of the world, think of nothing, and yet be physically active. I first discovered the joys of weeding when I was at high school. Ever since then, when I need to retreat from the world, or when I'm deliberately trying to hide from work, I find myself distracted by my backyard jungle.

I was pleased, therefore, to have a few hours this weekend (broken up into smaller slots) in which to indulge my little hobby. The longer I weeded though, the more frustrated and depressed I became. Do you KNOW how many weeds I have in my lawn? It's more weed than lawn. You should see the holes - it looks like the dogs have been at the moles again (which they have - another thing that bothers me).

The portion of the lawn I've done looks horrid. Horrid, horrid, horrid. It's almost so bad I want to buy roll on lawn from someone and dig the entire blasted thing up. Only two things stop me - the cost of buying it, and the cost of buying it. Oh, and the fact that I'd lose all my beautiful weeding - but that would be a minor loss compared to the joy of a beautiful lawn.

So here I am between a rock and a hard place. Do I let my jungle continue to jungle-fy, or do I mow it? Am I going to have the time to finish the rest of it anytime this year, or should I just admit defeat?

I'm not the only confused ones. My poor dogs don't know why I shout at them for digging it up (after the moles) but then dig it up myself. They must think I'm completely mad - either that, or incredibly possessive about grass.

No comments: