Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Cuteness is edible

I am loving the current stage that Nathan is at. Not a day goes by that he doesn't do something that makes me want to eat him up, or cry, because he's just being so gorgeous and cute.

Like the other day...

We're sitting in the car and he's playing with the courtesy light above his chair. "Lil-ight, lil-ight" (little light, little light) he cries, very excited that he's now big enough to be able to reach up and switch it on while he's buckled up. Mother tolerantly plays along for a while.

"Yes my love, that's right - little light!"

After the 100th time though, being exuberant about the same thing is getting a little stale though, so Mother reaches back and switches the light off. "That's enough now, Nathan."

"NO, Mommy! (sucks teeth) AGGGGGGGG!" And Nathan promptly switched it back on.

Well, I tell you, I nearly wet myself. He was just so adorable I couldn't help but play along for a further 100x.

Or on Sunday, when Nellie and I were singing the 2nd verse of 'Twinkle, Twinkle'.

(Did you know there's a 2nd verse? Isn't it amazing the things you learn when your kid goes to pre-primary school? Of course, don't ask me to repeat it - I can't remember it now!)

At one point, there was a natural break in our singing, and suddenly, from the back seat, just as I'm reversing out of the driveway, I hear "ikle, ikle, lil aar...". I was so excited I nearly crashed the car!

Since then, he has frequently asked for us to sing it, and also "Spiderman" (he has Spiderman slippers). One minute, he has shown absolutely NO interest in singing, and the next, he can't get enough of it.

And he's started saying Xhosa words. Finally! (or A word at least....) He understands it perfectly (or as well as he understands English), but till now has shown no inclination to speak it. I knew he'd get there eventually, but it's nice that we've reached that point. (Now I have to start learning too... if he's going to start speaking it then I need to know what he's saying.)

And I just LOVE seeing how much joy and satisfaction he gets from being able to do new things, or say new words. He genuinely relishes his own development, and I take joy in his joy.

No comments: