Monday, May 09, 2011

Mother's Day

I know it's after the fact, but I wanted to record something of what took place yesterday, because it felt like such a significant day.

Between the rush of church and family gatherings, I scarcely had time to think about some things that cropped up for me.

Just recently I've found myself thinking a lot about Zoe. Mother's Day obviously brought her to mind in a big way, but I've caught myself looking at her photo a lot in the past few weeks, and talking to her again. I haven't done that in a long while.

Did I tell you about the painting I saw at Kirstenbosch recently? There's a permanent art display near the nursery up at the top gate, with rotating art by local artists. G and I decided to go and see it while we were there recently. While there, I saw a lovely little painting of 3 blonde kids playing in the surf: two girls with a little boy. Their ages looked correct for Janel, Zoe and Nathan as they would be at the moment. It's a fairly simple painting, but it captured my heart. Maybe that's why she's been in my thoughts so much of late... I've promised myself that if we have enough money left over after our current renovations & G's op & a few other essentials, that I'll go back to see whether it's still there, and if it is, I'll buy it.

But getting back to Mother's Day. The sermon on Sunday morning was on.. wait for it... "Is God in control?". I know, not the sort of topic you would expect for Mother's day, but there you go. Given the place my heart is in right now, it was a timeous topic. This is one of the things I have always struggled with since Zoe's death. Why didn't God save her? Was it because he wasn't able to, didn't care enough to, or was there some other reason? I've come to accept that it's the 3rd - that there was another reason for her death. However, this sermon really helped me to firm up that foundation, to remind me of how I can know that God IS always in control, and that he continues to care, but that his purposes & plans are bigger than me and my little life. It was one of the best sermons I've heard in a long time - and I wound up in tears. (Now doesn't that sound familiar????) I'd recommend you listen to it. (Click this link to download it from the church's website.)

Then, my mom and I had such a fabulous talk - HOURS long - about all sorts of things, both trivial and meaningful. We haven't had an opportunity to talk like that in a very, very long time. I've missed it. It was so awesome to connect with her again.

All this following on from pancakes in bed for breakfast (my man is the BEST!) and special pictures from my kids made this Mother's Day a special one to remember.


No comments: