Thursday, April 10, 2008

'The poor will always be with you.' Jesus

Moving back to SA from the UK made me realise how much I had enjoyed not being accosted on every street corner by the extreme poverty that exists in this beautiful nation. The difference between the haves and have nots is stark. No doubt about it.

Like many Saffas, I've found it so difficult to deal with. I've tried the blinkers thing (ie choosing NOT to see it, ignoring it completely), but wound up being hard-hearted and arrogant. I've tried the Saviour thing (ie giving to everyone in need that I see), and wound up being broke and wondering whether I'd actually made a difference at all. I've done the Responsible thing (ie giving to a charity so that I know the money doesn't go on booze and drugs), but still wound up feeling guilty every time I drove past someone in need.

Then the other day it struck me. Even Jesus admitted that 'the poor will always be with you'. As long as this earth continues, there will be haves and have nots. That doesn't give us licence to just ignore the poor, or turn a blind eye, but it does release me a bit from the cloying guilt I feel of being one of the haves. I didn't ask to be born a have. As long as I'm trying to make a difference, I don't need to feel guilty about having.

Does that make sense, or am I just trying to delude myself again? Not sure. But it's made it easier for me to just accept that I have money, and others don't.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Hey Nix
This is such a tough topic. Often it leaves one feeling helpless, angry, confused or guilty. I have been grappling with this for a while and I very humbly share with you my current conclusions (which may change so hold them lightly and test which works for you)
* I don't think any hard and fast rules work - either not giving at all or giving always.
* God does not want us giving out of guilt or fear or resentment. So if I feel those things in my heart I don't give. God wants a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9v7)
* The Holy Spirit IS A GENUINE guide. I have learnt to ask for guidance in each situation - how do you want me to respond to this person? Then I obey - give, talk, smile, share Jesus - whatever. Then I know I am doing what I am called to - so no guilt.
* I really have had to work through this one - knowing that everything I have is God's and I am a steward over it until he tells me to pass it on. Sometimes it is just a few rands sometimes loads more.
* Always always acknowledge the person who approaches you for money. There is nothing that robs a person from their dignity more than being ignored. So roll down your window a little bit. Look them in the eye. Ask them how there day is going. Smile. Give or don't give. I find people are so appreciative of this interaction that they don't even mind if I say I can't give today.

PS re the verse that you quote is a reference that Jesus made to the following command that God gave his people.

Deuteronomy 15:11
There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Let me know what you think about some of these thoughts.

MazBrost said...

I think you're right about the acknowledgement thing, although I find it hard to do (but that's a separate issue about the urgent vs. the important).

You're definitely right about the Spirit, but again... I've yet to regain trust in my ability to hear God correctly. Not that that's ever going to change until I start to take some risks...