Friday, November 02, 2007

The hard road

Today I had a very interesting conversation with my HoD about my colleagues. Two of them do not get on. I'm not just talking about not liking each other - they positively hate each other. They can't be in the same room together or in a meeting together. This means that department meetings in which sensitive decisions are being made happen in two parts - with one of them absent from each meeting.

It's an awkward place to be, because I can see what both of them are saying - I can see the positive and the negative in each of them. They just can't see it in each other. They refuse to see it. They have each made the other into a monster and refuse to back down. It's tearing the department apart, slowly but surely.

I don't want to go into all the details of the conversation, save to say that my HoD has asked me for some ideas about how to get the two of them to work together without killing each other. I've been pondering this all day, and then I came across this lecture. It kind of puts things into perspective.



Oh yes! I nearly forgot to say that.... MY BUSINESS IS OFFICIALLY REGISTERED!! Woo hoo! Not that it makes any difference to how fast (slow!) things are progressing, but it's another box I can tick off.

No comments: