Friday, March 23, 2007

Baby 2

Well, we've made it to 37 weeks! Thank God!

However, now I'm ready for this baby to arrive and I want it NOW. I've got horrendous back pain - my pelvis is loose and shifts/ swings around a bit with every step I take (makes for feeling very unstable on my feet, but too much of either activity or inactivity makes it worse, so I can't just sit down and stay there). I am UBER-uncomfortable, not sleeping, can't walk far (even going from our flat up to Woolies on the high st is too far!), have indigestion all the time, need the loo at least once an hour (at night it's about once every 2 hours), am BORED BORED BORED of wearing the same outfit all the time (not having been this pregnant before I have very little that fits!), can't bend over, can't put my own socks on, can't bath without help to get in and out... I'll stop now as I'm boring myself with all these complaints. The baby is (please God!) healthy and has reached the 37 week mark, so really, all this discomfort (now there's an understatement if ever there was one!) is all worth it!

Fortunately, it looks like Baby 2 may be as eager to appear as I am to have her out. I had a show on Wed, and my uterus is (according to the midwife I saw on Tues) irritable. That's apparently a sign that labour and birth are imminent. The midwife even indicated it might be as soon as this weekend... hmm... That would be good! (So for those who pray, please pray!)

In the meantime, Nellie has definitely realised that SOMETHING is up. When I'm around, she is unbelievably clingy, cries whenever I leave her for a moment or even just when I don't (because I can't) pick her up - even getting down on the floor and cuddling with her is not enough anymore. She's gone off her food and milk (although she does at least still eat a decent breakfast) and her sleep patterns are all over the show during the day. She has taken to lifting my shirt in public to look at my tummy and belly-button, which is fine depending on where in public it is!

I got the Moses' basket down yesterday, to get her used to the idea of it being in our room. Needless to say, it brought on a flood of tears. Even a balloon (which she usually loves) wasn't enough to calm her. I then had to spend a good 15 minutes cuddling her and assuring her that she was Mommy's No1 special girl and that I would always love her! Even then, she wasn't too happy... Oh dear!

She's also taken to pulling out the 2 'new baby' books we've got - one bought and one homemade - to look at the pictures of the new baby. Until this week, she's shown little interest in them.

On the upside, she's learnt to give proper kisses (aahh!!) and to say 'juice', and she ate 4 raisins for the first time yesterday, and she now also gives proper cuddles and hugs. She's looking more and more grown up every day. I can't believe my little one is nearly 16 months old now. When we were checking through my hospital bag the other night, and looking at the size of the newborn babygrows, I can't believe that they were too big for her when she was born! She was TEENY TINY - and now she's so big. Sigh! I guess she'll always be my little girl though, even when she's 60. That's motherhood for you.

No comments: