Monday, August 07, 2006

Camping

We've just got back from a week's camping.... I have to say that it was tougher than I was anticipating, but probably that was mostly because of the weather. We had rain and severe wind for the first few days and Nellie was very disturbed by the flapping canvas and noise.

However, we did have fun. The highlight of the week for us, as far as Nellie is concerned, is that she has really started talking now (baby talk, of course). It's such a joy to see her trying to communicate with us verbally! She copies almost any sound you make, and when she's playing by herself she's constantly talking to herself. Last night, when we gave her her last bottle of the night, finished off the entire bottle, smacked her lips, and then made a sound that implied she not only approved of the milk, but was entirely satisfied with it and was now ready to go to sleep. She sounded so grown up! We just laughed and laughed.

I've got some photos, but I'll put them up another time. We also took a lot of video footage, so when I have time to sort that out and put it up, I will.

Being the gorgeous child she is, she made plenty of friends (or should that be admirers?) in the group we were camping with, and we constantly had other children popping over to play with her and talk to her, which she loved (mostly!). One in particular, an ex-pupil of mine, Angus, was a massive hit! I have to say that there was one afternoon where I was ready to pack it all up and come home because I was exhausted and frustrated and so was Nellie, and then Angus stepped in like an angel of the Lord! To say he kept Nellie entertained is an understatement. He calmed us both down, made her laugh, got her to eat her food (she hadn't eaten for nearly a day), and generally ministered the love of God to us. During the rest of the week whenever he appeared, Nellie was full of smiles and laughs.

There's my clarion call. Will finish this later.

No comments: