Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Swinging

I wish I'd taken a photo of it - Nellie on the swings for the first time! We went for a walk this morning up to the ponds on the common to feed the geese (which she LOVES doing - I think it's the whole fascination with animals thing because she doesn't have any at home...), and on the way back I decided to stop in at the playground to see what was on offer that she might be able to make use of. The swings had a bar right around, with more bars between the legs and across teh back, so I thought I'd give it a go. How I wished I'd had the camera!! We had mile long smiles and chuckles galore. She LOVED it!

At long last it seems her teeth are coming through. I noticed this morning that you can actually see them, just below her gum - two little white patches. I don't know how long it will take before they break the skin, but it can't be much longer now! No wonder she's been gumming on absolutely everything!

Her walking is developing nicely. Today she walked about 6m, with me behind her. She takes these huge goose-stepping steps, but she's really getting the hang of it now. She's also getting the hang of turning herself around without falling over - as long as there's something to hold on to. Her balance while standing is improving rapidly and she can generally now prevent herself from overbalancing if she's standing playing with her toys at a chair or couch. She still hasn't mastered sitting down though! In fact, getting up is still a problem for her too - she can get about half way now but still needs that final push to help her stand properly.

Her speech is also coming along - at the moment her favourite sounds are a Darth Vader style beathing effect, 'da-da' and 'ti-ti'. She babbles constantly (if she isn't feeling shy) too, which is great!

I'm loving being at home and seeing her develop!! Even from week to week, and sometimes from day to day, I'm noticing new things, or development of things, she's doing. Long may that last!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there you two nooooo three!! Debbie's mum here!!! got this site address while staying there. I need a blog site too, but how do you chose which one?
Nellie is gorgeous and congratulations on the good news...she may (!!!!!!) be sleeping through by then. I remember my GP telling me that most of the kids who wake at night for a long time are very bright!!! Cape Town was a bit damp too and I'm missing the breakfasts that Debbie and I treated ourselves to once the 4 were at school (Mugg and Bean got to know us well)
2 more weeks before school starts again!!!
Bye for now, I expect you are up too.
Anne.