Monday, May 05, 2014

More! Give me more!

They say that a hug a day keeps the doctor away. Certainly research indicates that people need physical touch to be healthy, and that without it we quickly become depressed.

One of the things that I am positively lapping up at the moment is the amount of physical affection my son volunteers towards me. I don't need to ask for hugs and cuddles, or kisses (although I do!) because at least three of four times a day, often many many more than that, he will just sidle up to me and give me a hug or a kiss or a cuddle.

He doesn't do it to get any thing from me in return - it's not like he wants sweets, or a favour. He does it just because he loves me, and wants to cuddle with me.

This kind of unconditional love is amazing, all the more so because I know it won't last. I know that at some point it will become uncool to show Mom affection. I know that at some point he will prefer to give his affection to a girlfriend. At some point he will move out of home and marry some girl, and while mom won't be forgotten, she will be less important.

So while I can, I'm lapping it up. In the fabled words of Mugg & Bean: More! Give me more!

No comments: