Friday, July 12, 2013

Mind the gap

In SA, as a middle class whitey, I don't ever take public transport. After all, I have my own car... Why would I want to swap that for being squished like cattle on their way to market, and inconvenienced by having to wait on someone else's schedule? Besides, my memories of the train in SA are of a filthy, unhygienic, and unsafe environment.

Yet, today we decided to grab a train to Simonstown to see the statue of Jus Nuisance. I was surprised by the experience. Firstly, the trains didn't look like the new in my memory. Yes, they were still filthy in many respects, but it was at least litter and graffiti free. However, the seats reminded me of the Tube in London, just slightly wider carriages.... Even the yellow stripe on the platform rang a comforting bell.

Sitting in the train, contemplating my class list life style, I was amazed at how normal it felt to be sitting there. I guess all the years of public transport use in the UK has not been lost. Sure, I did feel uncomfortable with some of the passengers - I confess I did wonder whether any of them were criminals - but then, I felt uncomfortable with some passengers in the UK too.

All in all, it was a good experience, one I would like to repeat soon. I don't get much opportunity to, living and working where I do, but maybe I can create opportunities.

Along similar lines, I learnt yesterday that it costs R1 to catch a minibus (black) taxi from Howard Centre to Mowbray station. Imagine that! That's so cheap!!! Even using a scooter isn't that cheap. And again, how middle class and how classist that I never knew that. Maybe, just for the experience of it,  ought to catch a taxi... 

No comments: