Sunday, June 12, 2011

Who do you depend on?

About 2 weeks ago G went for major surgery on his stomach - hiatus hernia. That meant that I was single parenting for a while, first while he was in hospital, and later while he was recuperating at his folks' place. In the midst of all that, Nate got violently ill (vom-di in the wee, small hours, and then right through the day...), Priscilla (our nanny) fell & hurt herself so badly she was booked off for a week, I was finalising Nathan's party and present, and trying to organise a present for my dad's birthday too (which is next week).

I know that single parents cope simply because they have to, and they don't have a choice. Those single parents who have more than one small child though - goodness gracious, I hope they have help! I coped: I didn't kill the kids, I kept them in clean clothes, I kept them fed and bathed, and I managed to keep the dogs fed too. However, the kids & dogs didn't cope so well. The change in routine upset them terribly. As a result, there was acting out at all levels and at all times.

The experience taught me that, God forbid anything should happen to G, I could cope on my own, but only if I still had a good support structure. What it also reminded me is just how much I depend on G - which is as it should be. We're a team, designed to work together, which we do. But it was nice to be reminded about just how much our lives are interwoven and how much I rely on him.

It also reminded/ taught me just how important it is for kids to have two parents. They need both of us, for different reasons.

Of course, now that G is back, the kids are acting up again, but this time because they both want his undivided attention. LOL! You can't win, can you?

I'm so glad that G is in my life. I'm so grateful to have such an amazing man to rely on. I love him for the incredible person he is, but I love him just as much for the fact that he's such a fabulous husband and father. I'm a really blessed lady!

1 comment:

Caz said...

hi lady, you've won an award at http://bridesmaid-to-be.blogspot.com xx